Tuesday, April 25, 2017

(My First Ever) Button Shaker Card How To

Today I am excited to be a guest designer over @ The Retro Rubber Challenge Blog. When I found out that it was a Button themed challenge I knew exactly what I wanted to try -my first ever shaker card containing buttons! I had fun making it and will be giving it to my youngest niece Mabel for her 1st Birthday coming up this summer. 





Since I knew I needed the shaker compartment to be large enough to accommodate the buttons, I decided to go with using 2 layers of fun foam instead of just the foam tape. The fun foam was easy to cut-I started out with my CM oval cutting tool and finished up with a craft knife. Then it was easy to adhere all the frame layers together using a combination of my xyron machine and my ATG gun.


I partially cut that same size oval from the pale pink front panel of my card, but then used the craft knife to carefully cut around the "celebrate" letters that I had stamped in versamark ink and heat embossed in 4 different colors to get a rainbow effect at the bottom of the card. I also die-cut the #1, ran it through my xyron machine and then added clear microfine prisma glitter to the top side of it.


I chose 14 small buttons in coordinating colors to add to the shaker compartment, along with some micro beads in pink and blue, and some clear prism confetti/glitter chunks. I layered the pink plaid patterned paper onto my A2 sized card front and added the glittered #1 to the center with mini foam dots, then flipped it over to adhere the shaker component to it, to complete the base of my card.


Next, I stamped 4 of the stuffed animals -from a retired TAC stamp set (circa 2005)- in Tuxedo Black Momento ink on white scraps of paper and colored them with my Spectrum Noir pens. Then I topped them off with the clear Wink of Stella glitter marker and fussy cut them out. I also ran a pink Spectrum marker around the edges of the white fun foam to help it blend in better with the card front.


I added 2 of the animals to the card front with mini foam dots to pop them up a bit and used mini glue dots to adhere the 3 buttons. Being as this was only my 2nd ever shaker card, there is still some room for improvement, but over all I was very pleased with the results and think it is a super cute card that my sister-in-law will appreciate, even if my niece is too young to, lol.


Inside, I used some of the left over patterned paper, along with the last 2 of the stuffed animals and a retired TAC Happy Birthday sentiment.



8 comments:

  1. Hello Kathy and thank you for being our Guest Designer this time around at RETRO RUBBER, it's awesome you joined us for our "Button It" challenge.
    Your card is amazing and, IT'S A SHAKER CARD!! love it, love it!!!
    Thank you for sharing the process of how you created it, the step by step pictures are awesome and, I honestly thought the CELEBRATE word was cut with a die until I read your post, this is some incredible use of a craft knife!!!!!
    Love the little stuffed animals you placed on the front and, the inside of your card is just beautiful too.
    Beautiful colors for a baby's first birthday, your little niece Mabel will have fun shaking it.
    Thank you again for being our Guest Designer at RETRO RUBBER, hope you continue participating in the future.
    Hugs,
    Maria Rodriguez.DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how fantastic is this!!! I love your shaker card! This is such a great card for a child's first birthday. Thanks for the tutorial and a very special thank you for joining us as our Guest Designer. I look forward to seeing you again in our gallery soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you -I'll sure that I'll be back to join your challenge again soon!

      Delete
  3. Such a sweet card with lots of details. So cool to use buttons inside a shaker card, I will keep that in mind for the future. Thanks for joining us as guest designer at Retro Rubber!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you -I first saw someone else do it in a similar way and that's what inspired me too

      Delete
  4. I love a shaker card, very clever using buttons inside, filed for future use. Great to have you with us as GDT at Retro Rubber this time. Claire DT

    ReplyDelete